Saturday, November 03, 2007

Eh-hum # 210

Wow, American TV network ABC is on a roll. First it was Desperate Housewives, now its Jimmy Kimmel Live! Wonder which ABC program will take on the Filipino pride next. Eh-hum

The latest joke about Pinoys occured on the set of Jimmy Kimmel Live!, wherein Kimmel was interviewing Josh Hartnett. The latter just finished shooting a film at Mt. Diwalwal in Davao. During the interview, Kimmel expressed that Filipinos lack the ability to speak and read English. The comment/joke came in after the two talked about Hartnett's and the American crew's safety while filming near the mountain; the locals told them that there were cases of kidnapping in the area before they arrived.

Like the Desperate Housewives "joke", I initially expected the Filipino-American community will demand Kimmel's head on a silver platter. But according to a report from local network ABS-CBN, the Pinoys and the Fil-Am community in the US had "mixed and considerably milder reaction" to the said remark. I also had the same reaction.

The joke was uncomfortable, but I'm not taking it too seriously. I mean, it was made by an American comedien, so I don't really expect him to do some "research" on the Philippines. If a person (or foreigner) does not know and/or understand a nation's politics, culture, and history, he or she is bound to have her own perceptions (or biases, depending how you look at it). I find myself doing the same thing. The only difference is that, I don't do it on national television.

Geez, I hope this won't become a trend.

***

Due to my 207th post, I would like to think I had something to do with this (I did vote, twice):

Filipino, 7 others picked to carry Olympic torch in China

Associated Press Last updated 00:47am (Mla time) 11/03/2007

BEIJING -- (UPDATE) A Filipino marketing manager and an American who works with Chinese orphans are among eight foreigners living in China who have been picked to join in the 2008 Beijing Olympics torch run across the country, organizers said Friday.

Marcos Antonio Torres was picked from among 262 applicants in a contest organized by Chinese computer maker Lenovo Group, an Olympic sponsor, and the government newspaper China Daily. Each will carry the torch for 200 meters on Chinese soil.


Read the rest of the article here. Mabuhay tayo!

No comments: