Saturday, April 21, 2007

Eh-hum # 147

GRAHHHHH! I have yet to receive my allowance, and I need (and want) to buy more books for my Nihongo (self-study na ito) and thesis research. It seems I would have to starve myself for the next few weeks...or worse, find a baito. Haaayyyy.

***

Speaking of books, this book I want (and need, sort of), and for good reason: it was written by esteemed university professor and legendary author of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, J.R.R. Tolkien. Hopefully, it will be soon part of my small collection of books on the vast history and legends of Middle-Earth. Not your usual fantasy stories, Tolkien's fictional universe consists of tales overflowing with adventure, otherwordliness and characters with depth, whether brave, flawed and powerful heroes or terrifying and cunning villains. Like so many fans, I am amazed by Tolkien's narrative style and his unrivalled imagination that brought these stories to life. Aside from the trilogy, I also have copies of the Hobbit, the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. And yes, I have watched the film adaptation of the trilogy as well. As I have said, The Children of Hurin will be a lovely addition to my collection. And most likely, I will scour the shelves of bookstores in Sannomiya or Motomachi for it. And most likely, I will be able to do that once I get my allowance. Double Haaayyy.

***

Nothing to do with books or Tolkien for that matter, are zombie movies. I am not a fan of horror flicks, simply because after watching one, my imagination tends to go hyperdrive and its not good. Especially zombie movies, where people get eaten by the living dead (who recently, can run as fast as normal people, and can sense their presence...YIKES!). However, there are a few exceptions, like the movie Shaun of the Dead. Actually, its not just a horror movie, its a romantic comedy (tagline: A romantic comedy. With zombies). Adding humor to a disturbing movie genre gives it a twist. It also helps that this is a British film, so prepare yourself for a dose of quirky and witty British comedy...while hacking and shooting some zombies. A must see, believe me.

Poster from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_of_the_Dead


And because Shaun of the Dead was a success (at the box office and by critics), I now want to watch Hot Fuzz, which also starred and directed by the team that brought us the former (Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright respectively). Read this article about Hot Fuzz from Time.com. Its a killer. ;)

No comments: