Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Eh-hum # 3

That was close.

Before the week ends, I remembered to post something as part of my commitment to enhance this blog.

Yesterday's headline was amusing. Nope, Madame, you don't have to do that, not even for me (obviously, this is an exclusive joke). :)

However, today's Inquirer headline was alarming.

Though it wouldn't be until October, I can't understand why the President acknowledged the resignation of Ms Soliman.   I picture every social worker to be like Ms Soliman: down to earth, compassionate, energetic and witty.   Its unfair to think that what a social worker does is simply described as helping the poor.   Helping the poor means having to deal with a LOT of issues, from basic services to human development. 
 
These people I truly admire.  However, I can honestly say that I cannot be like them.  The thing is, I sometimes find myself weary of the poor (and their demands).  On bad days, I wonder if all of them deserve the support of the Government and Civil Society.  Uh-oh.

I hope once the Vice-President takes on the role of DSWD Secretary, it wouldn't treat it like an extension of his TV show. On the other hand, I think he will strive to do good, since the President had to give up a cabinet official like Soliman.

No comments: