Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Eh-hum # 250



I am so in love with Michael Palin that it is almost laughable. But I guess most Monty Python fans would choose Palin as their favorite, or at least the next favorite after John Cleese (who is familiar to non-Python people). And why not? Anybody who has ever watched the Python’s sketches would agree with me that Palin is not only funny (duh), but extremely charming with a smile that could light up a whole city (see picture above). Plus, he giggles easily, which makes him more adorable, albeit he is now in his 60s:


Yes! I am a new Monty Python fan, and I am proud to admit it (better late than never). The name I’ve heard before, but what they were exactly was totally beyond me. And thank God for YouTube, which shall serve as my primary source for classic Python sketches and movies, until I am able to fruitfully track down their DVDs on this side of the world. Or at least, until I am able to convince my cousins based abroad to send me the precious cargo without any charge…that’s what relatives in the US are for…BWAHAHAH.

For non-believers, Monty Python refers to a British comedy group composed primarily of six men: Cleese, Palin, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones, Eric Idle and Terry Gilliam. The group perform sketches on television and on stage that range from the very sardonic to the very silly; some lampoon facets of society (religion, government) and others without any bearing at all (just for the heck of it). It can be offensive, but hey, this is comedy, deal with it. Comedy is something I really enjoy and I prefer it over romance and definitely horror (the monster, ghostly kind).

Many comedians of today consider the Pythons as inspiration; one of these is Eddie Izzard. They can be regarded as the forerunner of today’s Saturday Night Live (SNL) or Mad TV, with the humor more dry and stylish. Moreover, I noticed that they don’t do impressions very often, or have celebrities host their show like their American counterparts. Aside from their TV show (Monty Python's Flying Circus), they also have three (or four) critically acclaimed movies under their belts. Many critics regard their materials to be very sharp and the Pythons are said to be proud of the research they do when writing their scripts.

Unfortunately, the group went their separate ways in the late 1970s/early 1980s. More bad news was the untimely death of Chapman in 1989 . Even though one member is missing and the group now successfully working as individuals, Monty Python lives on for the benefit of the new generation. Their skits, catchphrases and songs will be enjoyed for the years to come and we credit the tech-savvy fans for that.

I cannot tell you how I enjoy watching their sketches and I do have a few of my favorites. For your viewing pleasure, we have Palin (ehem) and Cleese perform live the legendary “Dead Parrot” sketch. Watch Palin lose focus after Cleese delivers the memorable "pining for the fjords" line.





No comments: