Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Eh-hum # 206

A rather serious post.

One of my goals while living and studying in Japan was to lose some weight. Unfortunately, that didn't work out. While I develop an appetite for vegetables, cooking my own meals allowed me to eat as much rice as I wanted, which was not a good idea. Most people would cite chocolates and other sweets as their guilty pleasure. In my case, my biggest temptation is rice. I know you can't eat it as it is, but when you pair with with a delectable viand, its a killer. And I mean it.

So, a week ago, my mom put me on a strict rice diet, meaning, I am only allowed to eat half a cup of rice every meal. Moreover, I was "instructed" to eat more vegetables, lessen my red meat intake, and drink more water. And she said I should spend at least 30 minutes on the treadmill everyday (the difficult part actually).

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I am not one who thinks too much of my body image. I am happy with who I am and how I look. I am not beautiful, but I am definitely not ugly. I'm cool with that. But ever since I arrived home, I am constantly reminded of the problems I could face when I do not look after my weight and my health. My mother has diabetes (thanks to eating too much rice) and other ailments. Being the eldest, there is a huge that I could develop these illnesses. To have a better picture of where I stand healthwise, early this week I went to a laboratory and had my blood and (excuse me) urine analyzed (blood chem). The results came in the following morning, and its not all good news. While most of my vital signs are normal, I found out that I needed to monitor my cholesterol level and my triglyceride level went beyond the normal or healthy range.

Hence, I went to my mom's doctor this morning, and she gave me a prescription to take this medicine for two months. I am not too happy about it, but its definitely a wake up call for me to shape up. While it has nothing to do with vanity, but I could benefit from losing all those unwanted pounds. I just hope I will be able to keep it up.

Eh-hum.

No comments: