Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Eh-hum # 273

This is a tad late, but it is such wonderful news that I just had to share it:

NEIL GAIMAN WINS THE NEWBERY MEDAL FOR HIS LATEST WORK, "THE GRAVEYARD BOOK".

There, I shouted it out for the rest of the world to hear.

An online article from Publisher's Weekly:

Neil Gaiman Wins Newbery Medal for "The Graveyard Book"
By Donna Freitas -- Publishers Weekly, 1/29/2009

Last fall PW caught up with Neil Gaiman to talk about his newest children’s book, The Graveyard Book, which at the time was hot off the press. This week, Gaiman is recovering from some very exciting news regarding his novel: waking up during the wee hours of Monday morning to a chorus of 14 children’s librarians shouting on speakerphone that his book had won the Newbery Medal.

“I was on so little sleep and had not expected or even dreamed that I would win,” Gaiman said about the 5:30 a.m. call to his cell phone—he was in Los Angeles doing a press junket for the film based on Coraline, which is set for release February 6. “The only thing going through my head was: ‘Don’t swear. It’s wrong. They’re librarians.’ And then I was informed I couldn’t say anything for another hour until it was announced. So I just sat there and wrote a blog entry, made myself some tea, and phoned my agent who was over the moon, and my editor, Elise Howard, who was crying she was so excited.”

Read the rest of the article here.

Congratulations, Mr Gaiman, you deserve it!

***

In other book-related news, Stephen King has something to say about Stephenie Meyer: "...can't write worth a darn. She's not very good".

Eh-hum.

No comments: