Thursday, August 19, 2004

Eh-hum # 16

Game Na!

Until we switched cables, I used to watch this show on Tech TV titled X-Play. The show gives you reviews on video games for the most up-to-date consoles. The process involves describing what’s cool and/or sucks about the game then giving it a rating. It’s in this show I was introduced to the Play Station 2 and X-Box version of the Sims. I’m not a super gamer, but my experience with computer games go back to the Nintendo Family Computer, the Super Mario Brothers and the Game Boy. And then, when my younger brother was old enough to hold a joystick (and stare at the TV for hours), he became the game aficionado of the family. He dominated every game for the SEGA Mega Drive, the Play Station 1 and the Play Station 2 (if a 3rd comes out, am sure he’ll butter me up to buy him one).

I would play occasionally; no big, even watch him play those neat Final Fantasy games. Until, I bought my own copy of the Sims. If you’re not familiar with the Sims, it’s initially a PC game that lets you create characters (or “Sim”) by choosing different appearances, skills and personalities. After that, you build them a new home or buy one, get them a career and meet other Sims for friends or romance. In short, you create these Sims and run their lives. It was only recently that MAXIS/EA decided to develop this game for the console, and I think it’s a great idea. After our PC suffered from 2 crashes, we decided not install games to our computer.

I bought the Sims when I was “on vacation”, hence, I would spend 3 to 4 hours of game time everyday. This was bad news for my brother, since he has to share the console with me and which also cuts his game time. Now, since am at the office, I am unable to play the game which really bugs me. However…..I rekindled my fascination with another type of gaming experience.
Abangan.

No comments: